*If you would like to guest post on my blog on the topic of food or any other topic, send me a message.
One of my husband’s favorite chicken meals is chicken cordon bleu. He especially loves the honey mustard sauce that is drizzled over the chicken. The flavors of the chicken, ham, Swiss cheese, and honey mustard sauce is a perfect mix.
The recipe I use to make my chicken cordon bleu is based on the recipe in the Cook This Not That! cookbook. Instead of buying panko bread crumbs, I make my own croutons and crush them to make bread crumbs. It is very easy to do if you have a toaster oven. The recipe calls for a Dijon mustard, but I use whatever mustard I have on hand such as Grey Poupons’s deli mustard.
Here is my recipe for chicken cordon bleu.
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Serving size: 2
2 chicken breasts
sprinkle of salt
sprinkle of pepper
4 slices of deli ham
2 slices of Swiss cheese
2 tablespoon flour
1 egg, beaten
2 slices of bread, cubed, toasted, and crushed
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 tablespoon olive oil mayo (if using regular mayo, add little bit of olive oil to sauce)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Place cubed bread pieces in toast oven for about 10 minutes; set aside to cool.
3. Season chicken with salt and pepper; place on surface such as a cutting board to prepare.
4. Lay ham and Swiss cheese on top of chicken.
5. Take toasted bread cubes out of toast oven and place in plastic bag.
6. Roll bread cubes with rolling pin to crush the bread (It’s okay to still have bigger pieces of bread).
7. Place flour, egg, and bread crumbs into separate mixing bowls.
8. Grease baking sheet with olive oil.
9. Roll up each chicken (one at a time), dip first in the flour to lightly coat, then in the egg, then immediately in the bread crumbs.
10. Place chicken on baking sheet.
11. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the chicken is firm to the touch and cooked through and the bread crumbs are brown and crunchy.
12. While the chicken is baking, prepare the honey mustard sauce.
13. Stir together the lemon juice, mustard, honey, and mayo in a small mixing bowl to make a smooth sauce.
14. Once the chicken is done, place on plate; drizzle with honey mustard sauce.
Serve the chicken cordon bleu with your favorite sides such as grilled asparagus and rice.